2015 John Lewis Syrah, Walla Walla Valley
While writing this note, I sat and smelled the 2015 John Lewis Syrah over the course of 6 hours and again 24 hours later. I will say that this is one of the most exciting John Lewis wines made at the winery to date. The nose begins with tart red fruit and herbs de Provence, which slowly evolved to smoked and cured meat with stone, mineral, and gravel. The 2015 John Lewis is a backward wine that will require patience, or at least a 24 hour decant for those that can’t wait to taste.
The 2015 John Lewis Syrah is 90% from Les Collines Vineyard Block 46, with the remaining 10% from the block directly below, Block 36. Picked on September 15th at 22.8 Brix, we fermented the wine 100% whole cluster in a Nomblot concrete tank for about 21 days with native yeasts. About 60% of the wine was aged in concrete. The remainder of the wine comes from ten 500 liter puncheons and two 225-liter barrels. All of the oak was over three years old except for one new 500-liter puncheon. The wine, never racked, was aged for 15 months then bottled unfined and unfiltered.
Tasting notes: Very floral with tart red fruit and green herb. Sour rainier cherry, raspberry, cranberry, cured meat, black pepper, herbs de Provence, red flowers. Intense mineral on the palate with firm tannins. Almost Pinot Noir like in the aromatic intensity of the nose and structure of palate. This is a wine that will require time in bottle.
“(fermented in concrete tank with 100% whole clusters, then aged in old puncheons): Full ruby-red. Deep aromas of black raspberry, blueberry and olive tapenade reminded me of a darker Côte-Rôtie. Then surprisingly tight in the middle but with a faint sweetness to its ripe purple fruit flavors. This is considerably more closed today than the Deuce but may well ultimately surpass that wine.”– Stephen Tanzer
|VINEYARDS:||Les Collines Block 36 & 46 (Walla Walla Valley)|
|AGING:||100% Whole Cluster Fermentation and fermented in Concrete, aged 15 months in predominately neutral French Puncheons & Concrete|